USCIS Thanks Our Courageous Veterans and Service Members with U.S. Citizenship for Spouses and Children of Military Service Members

thank you veterans

If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen member of the U.S. armed forces, and your spouse is or will be deployed, you may be eligible for expedited naturalization or for overseas processing. Certain spouses may be eligible for expedited naturalization in the United States and may not be required to establish any prior period of residence or specified period of physical presence within the United States, as generally required for naturalization.  Children of U.S. citizen military members deployed abroad may be eligible for overseas processing.  For more information on how you may obtain your U.S. citizenship through your military service member or veteran spouse, please feel free to contact us for assistance!

Did You Know that Your Military Service May Provide You with U.S. Citizenship by Naturalization?

soldier and flag

You may be eligible for U.S. Citizenship by naturalization through one year of military service during peacetime.  If you served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for one year at any time, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization, or “peacetime naturalization.”    While some of the general naturalization requirements apply to qualifying members or veterans of the U.S. armed forces seeking to naturalize based on one year of service, other requirements may not apply or are reduced.

To be eligible, you must establish that you:

  • Are 18 years of age or older
  • must have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least one year
  • must be a lawful permanent resident (LPR) at the time of examination on the naturalization application.
  • must meet certain residence and physical presence requirements.
  • must demonstrate an ability to understand English including an ability to read, write, and speak English.
  • must demonstrate knowledge of U.S. history and government.
  • must demonstrate good moral character for at least five years prior to filing the application until the time of his or her naturalization.
  • must have an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law.