Did You Know that Your Military Service May Provide You with U.S. Citizenship by Naturalization?

soldier and flag

You may be eligible for U.S. Citizenship by naturalization through one year of military service during peacetime.  If you served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for one year at any time, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization, or “peacetime naturalization.”    While some of the general naturalization requirements apply to qualifying members or veterans of the U.S. armed forces seeking to naturalize based on one year of service, other requirements may not apply or are reduced.

To be eligible, you must establish that you:

  • Are 18 years of age or older
  • must have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least one year
  • must be a lawful permanent resident (LPR) at the time of examination on the naturalization application.
  • must meet certain residence and physical presence requirements.
  • must demonstrate an ability to understand English including an ability to read, write, and speak English.
  • must demonstrate knowledge of U.S. history and government.
  • must demonstrate good moral character for at least five years prior to filing the application until the time of his or her naturalization.
  • must have an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s